Portugal, officially the Portuguese Republic (República Portuguesa), is located on the Iberian Peninsula and the most western country of the European continent. Portugal is only bordered by Spain to the north and east. In the south and west of the country, there is a 948-kilometer Atlantic Ocean coastline.
The capital city of Portugal is Lisbon.
Portuguese is both the official and national language of the country, however, English is also widely spoken in Portugal.
The current population of Portugal is 10.149.812 as of February, 2022.
The Euro (€) is the currency of Portugal.
Since Portugal is both an EU and a Schengen country, Portuguese citizenship ensures free movement of persons in Schengen area and gives the right to settle, work and study in EU countries.
Primarily, Portuguese citizenship is acquired by:
- descendants of Portuguese parents/grandparents,
- marriage/civil union,
- birth on Portuguese territory
- and adoption.
Besides, it is also possible to acquire Portuguese citizenship after five years of legal residence in Portugal within the framework of the “Golden Visa” program.
“GOLDEN VISA” PROGRAM:
The program provides residence (Golden Visa) by investment for non-EU citizens from 2012 on.
If you have a Golden Visa, you may live and work in Portugal and also travel across the Schengen area freely.
If a family member holds a residence permit by this program, other family members will be able to hold a permanent residence permit and citizenship too if they are also eligible according to the legistlation.
- At least €1.5 million transfer into a Portuguese bank account or confirmed investment options,
- Investing €350.000 in research and development activities of public or private organizations of the national scientific and technological system,
- Donating €250.000 for artistic production or national cultural heritage,
- Investing €500.000 in to a fund or venture capital fund with a maturity of at least five years in companies established under Portuguese legislation and with at least 60% of the investment portfolio located in the national territory.
Real Estate Investment:
- Purchasing a real estate which worths at least €500.000 (Purchase is no longer allowed in high-density areas such as Lisbon, Porto, and the Algarve unless the real estate is commercial or touristic),
- Purchasing a real estate, older than 30 years and in the urban transformation areas, which worths at least 350,000 Euros including the cost of renovation.
- Establishing a single-member limited company in Portugal and creating 10 full-time job positions.
- Investing €350.000 in to an existing Portugal-registered business either incorporate or increase the share capital and creating at least 5 full-time jobs for at least 3 years.
Who May Apply?
Any adult (18+ year old) who is non-EU/non-Swiss/non-EEA citizen with a clean criminal record may apply for the program.
- Golden Visa application form,
- Copy of your valid passport and travel documents,
- Deed or contract of the property that you purchased or a signed promissory contract with the proof of the deposit payment,
- Declaration from your bank in Portugal confirming the capital transfer,
- Health insurance in Portugal (only required if the investor resides in Portugal),
- Certificate of your criminal records or a clearance letter from home country (must be issued in last 90 days),
- Form for authorizing the SEF (the Immigration and Borders Service) to get an extract of your Portuguese criminal records,
- Your declaration of confirming that you comply with the investment requirements,
- Documents showing a good standing from the Portuguese Tax and Customs Authority and Social Security system (must be issued in last 45 days),
- A receipt showing the payment of the fee for application process (€5000 to €8000 for a single applicant and dependents younger than 18 years old are included.)
The documents must be legalized and translated into Portuguese (or English) by a certified translator.
After you make your investment and receive your Golden Visa, you will need five years. You have to hold your investment for at least five years (not have to hold your investment after acquiring citizenship) then you will have the right to apply for citizenship. Also, you need to take the Portuguese language test (called the CIPLE Portuguese proficiency test) any time before your application.
If the applicant:
- is at least 18 years old,
- is a resident in Portugal for at least five years,
- knows A2 level of the Portuguese according to the CIPLE,
- and have not been convicted of a crime which has penalty of three years or more in Portuguese law
may apply for the Portuguese citizenship.